There were 5 Indians, 4 Russians, 1 Irish and 2 South Korean nationals among the passengers.
Emergency rescue operations are currently being conducted at the airport with bodies being recovered, stated reports.
A total of 72 people – 68 passengers and 4 crew members – were on board the ill-fated flight, as confirmed by a spokesperson for Yeti Airlines.
Nepalese Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal has called an emergency cabinet meeting following the crash, and directed effective rescue operations .
Images and videos of the crash posted on social media showed smoke billowing from the site.
Nepal plane crash: 32 bodies recovered so far
As per reports, the airport has been closed temporarily owing to the incident. Pokhara, in central Nepal, is a lakeside tourist mecca nestled below the Annapurna mountain range.
More details related to the accident are awaited.
Past crashes in the country
- Nepal, home to eight of the world’s 14 highest mountains, including Everest, has a record of air accidents.
- In May 2022, all 22 passengers, including four Indians, were killed when Tara Airplane crashed.
- In 2016, all 23 people aboard were killed when a
planeof the same airline flying the same route crashed after takeoff.
- In March 2018, a US-Bangla Air crash occurred at the Tribhuvan International Airport, killing 51 people on board.
- A Sita Air flight crashed in September 2012 while making an emergency landing at the Tribhuvan International Airport, killing 19 people.
- A plane flying from Pokhara to Jomsom crashed near Jomsom airport on May 14, 2012, killing 15 people.